Friday, October 22, 2010

Le Chateau French



Three bachelorettes sit with us in good standing.  The one who orders veal first meets with the waiter's fussiness insisting upon calling it veau, then with Eugenia's vegan glare.  No one argues; she carries the wound to the loo and never comes back.  The rest of us surround the celery and olives, in conversation all, no longer judgmental having developed a 'right mind'.

When I peer into a water glass as if it were a distressed mirror, I read her future as she reads my mind and turns to any of the others, her interest anywhere else but in the bridal finery and bonbons of my gaze.  I eschew all thoughts of protecting the fabric of the comforter now serving only the putative purpose of color-neutralizing a room.

Bridling as sensitives, we live in this cinema, belong to this film, rehearse these lines, the standards of the plot.  Action.

10 comments:

  1. I've had a few of those vegan glares, myself.

    "...her interest anywhere else but in the bridal finery and bonbons of my gaze"

    This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willow,

    Thanks, once again. In this experiment, I went 'prose poem' on you, allowing the 'hint' of surreality that 'form' seems to relish.

    There's method in what I try . . . not always with success. I'm glad you liked this one.

    TFool

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice...that closing line is tight...wrapping it all in...telling her fortune in the mirror like water...very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really felt this...and I have been a supporting actress

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...rehearse these lines, the standards of the plot. Action."
    Print that! It's a wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brian,

    Thank you, sir. That last part at the end came to me in the end. Hadn't thought about any theatricality until then.

    TFool

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rene,

    I tend to live my life as my own supporting actor.

    Trulyfool
    (Thanks for the felt response)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jingle,

    Thank you! Magic is what I try to do as much as I can here and in my moving-around life on the streets of this-here America!

    I do it best with words, but my genuine smile and laugh is, still, almost boyishly charming.

    Trulyfool

    ReplyDelete
  9. Berowne,

    I've wrapped. This gives me a chance to credit you with a fine choice of name! It must open doors otherwise closed?

    Trulyfool

    ReplyDelete