Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Clear Moon





Fascinating.

Pianist unfamiliar, a very skilled contestant at a high-level competition.

I'm watching her technique.  I'm taking-in her orange dress, her smooth arms, her arched wrists and fingers.

The occasional audience foot-shift.  Jerry-built background curtain.  Cut-up stage.  Compartmentalized room.

Low coughs.  Dead Debussy.  Human, all-too-human, context.



Gorgeous music.

What makes me hear something 'better' in what man composes than what I see of him moment by moment?

I want the transcendence.  We do transcend.  I do insist so hard.


.

2 comments:

  1. I have been in love with the "Clair de Lune" for many years. Looking at the video initially, I was a bit put off by the shoddy background. Does not this beautiful melody deserve a better frame? Within seconds, the transcendence occurred, and there was only the music. Just the lovely unmistakable melody, which has been my love for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm beginning to re-hear more complicated music. From Day One we're built up only a little, and most training stops far short of where it could go.

    I've been lucky. Someone along the line thought it was good to go on, and somehow I agreed. What luck! (It's frightening that it's luck.)

    ReplyDelete